Again, I do apologize for not having a "before" pic of this piece. I did this about four years ago and was never great at remembering that step. I promise from here on out, I will snap pictures along the way. This is one of my favorite projects I have ever done, because I love the way this turned out. It is a focal point in my great room and people ALWAYS comment on it. :-)
I bought this beauty at a local weekly flea market. It was selling as a set, buffet and hutch, for $200. I decided that I didn't want the hutch, so I got the buffet for $125. The piece is extremely heavy and built well, so I knew that this was a bargain (especially since I had been "eyeing up" ones in the Pottery Barn catalog for upwards of $1000). Once we lugged the big guy home, I got to work. It started all the same color, the light wood you see on the top.
I decided I wanted it black and distressed, so I applied two coats of interior black paint in eggshell just to the bottom, the top was in great condition, and I liked the look of the different finishes and colors. Once dried, I took sand paper to the edges and made it look weathered. Then I added one coat of satin polyurethane to the bottom, as I didn't want it to be glossy/shiny, like the top. I added three coats of glossy polyurethane to the top, because I wanted that look and I knew that I would be sitting items on top and using it at parties, so it needed to be durable. I put all of the existing hardware back on and I just love the way that this turned out. It is one of my prized possessions. :-)